Bringing Balance

I thought I might take a moment and shift away from naval matters for a while and go back to micro armor. In this case it is really about aircraft for micro armor. I painted up a couple of F-16s from GHQ in Israeli Air Force colors. If you recall one of my first posts was a pair of Super Mysteres and Skyhawks from Raiden Miniatures painted in IAF colors as well. I really liked the colors I mixed for those planes so I was a bit disheartened to see that the paints had dried out completely. Off to my local hobby shop, the Newport Hobby House, to get some new paints. They had most of what I was looking for but the pale green just didn’t come out pale enough to match the previous aircraft. I’m not going to strip them and start over but I will adjust the color before I paint the F-15s and additional Skyhawks I have sitting around. Anyway, here are the F-16s.

!/285 Scale F-16As in Early IAF Camouflage Pattern. Models by GHQ.

1/285 Scale F-16As in Early IAF Camouflage Pattern. Models by GHQ.

 

I’m definitely going to have to tinker around with the colors some more. While I was doing the research for the Skyhawks I came across an interesting modification done by the IAF to help defeat SA-7 and other IR homing missiles. They attached an exhaust extension to the engine tailpipe which caused the missiles homing in on the heat plume to proximity detonate too far away from the fuselage to cause much damage. I have a pair of aircraft that will be modded shortly. Here’s a picture from a plastic kit.

Modified A-4 Skyhawk Tailpipe.

Modified A-4 Skyhawk Tailpipe.

 

On to the F-15s!

Advertisements

Life is elswhere

So my discussion about Green Stuff inspired me to try a project of my own.  I’ve cleared my calendar of all the things I have to do and its time to do something I want to do.  Thinking about what would make a good first project I suddenly remembered one that has been languishing for four or five years.  I had constructed what would be a war monument intended to be part of a 1/285 scale city park diorama.  I was inspired for that project by this…

Image

The full tutorial for how this scene was constructed can be found here.  My monument featured a rectangular base, laminated pedestal and a GHQ 10mm Napoleonic figure on horseback.  All that was lacking was some suitable plaque/medallion on the sides of the pedestal.  Something like this in concept.

Image

In the past I’ve tried Super Sculpey, plastic card, and even considered trying to etch brass.  None of these produced a satisfactory result.

Green Stuff, however, looked very promising.  I went to the local art store yesterday and they had some Milliput two part epoxy putty in stock.  Excellent! I thought about what the medallion’s shape should be.  I watched videos on YouTube to learn more about working with epoxy putties.  I was all ready to finally finish this project.

Then I went to the storage room.  I can’t find the model.  In my last move I separated most of my 1/285 stuff from my 1/2400 ships.  1/285 stuff went to storage and the naval stuff came with me.  Somehow, I thought the monument was in the bits bin that came along with my hobby tools.  I haven’t found it yet.  Perhaps this project will have to wait another couple of years…

Kitbashing

My kitbashed version of the Skorpion

One of the things I’ve done over the years when manufacturers have been slow making the obscure models I need to round out particular units is to kitbash by own.  For the uninitiated kitbashing involves taking an existing model and modifying it to represent a different vehicle or ship altogether.  Kitbashing can be as simple as swapping parts with another kit or it can be a very detailed process of cutting, reshaping, and adding structure.

The vehicle in the picture is a Skorpion minelayer from the Bundeswehr.  This conversion was only moderately complicated.  The basic vehicle is an M548 transport from Pfc-CinC a miniature manufacturer in Minnesota.  The back of the model is cut down and then rebuilt to the proper contour using Evergreen Plastics card stock.  The mine launcher devices are trimmed down multiple rocket launcher rack from a GHQ miniature pack.  A full “how-to” description will be a future feature on the blog.  Interesting side note GHQ manufactures miniatures across town from Pfc-CinC.

For the sake of comparison here is a photo of an actual Skorpion in action.  I’m pretty pleased with the way this conversion turned out.  I’ve made a dozen of these conversions over the years and either traded, sold, or gave most of them away to fellow gamers.

A real Skorpion in action