I haven’t posted recently but I haven’t been idle either. Remember when I wrote the piece about 3D printing? Well that got me thinking and that can be a dangerous thing. 3D printing could be the technology that scratches a lot of kitbashing itches that I have. Ultimately it could be the technology that allows me to make some of the ships I would like to have in my 1/2400 collection but could never hope for a traditional manufacturer to produce.
Since I know very little about CAD software I realize it would be too great a leap to jump right in and start designing a ship for 3D printing. Instead I decided to take baby steps and slowly build up my experience and knowledge bases. For a long time now I’ve wanted to procure 55 gal. oil drums in 1/285 scale for use in supply depots or as truck cargo but as far as I know none are available commercially. There are several choices available in other scales such as these produced by SGTS Mess.
It seemed like a pretty good place to start. Once I designed one oil drum I could make several different configurations for different trucks or for a supply depot and maybe I could sell a few through Shapeways to pay for future development. So I downloaded the free trial version of TurboCAD while I wait for my full version to arrive from Amazon and started making my oil drum. Let me just say that I never expected to be cranking out products on day one but TurboCAD is kicking my butt. Now I don’t really have any documentation so I’m learning by trial and error and the few YouTube tutorials that are out there. The process is taking a long time. which is why I haven’t been posting here at all.
I’ve buckled down and ordered the companion tutorial disks and I keep my eyes out locally for any training books I might find but in the meantime I get myself frustrated with things that look more like Oscar the Grouch’s garbage can than they do an oil drum. The grind continues…